Monday, October 4, 2010

Heritage Books

In fifth grade, our first unit is on Heritage. We read five stories that show heritage in different ways. We have a big idea which is, How has heritage influenced your life? At the end of the unit, we get to do a celebration or inquiry week. We take this week to complete a project related to the unit theme. So, for heritage, I have the kids interview someone in their family, asking questions about their heritage, memories, etc. In class, the kids also answer some of the same questions. So, on our inquiry week, they take the paragraphs they have written and the paragraphs from the person they interviewed and write them all in this little heritage book. We only have 3 days to get it done this year because it is a short week and I am going to be gone to a training on Wednesday. So, I decided I should put the books together before they started. So, on Sunday I spent about 3-4 hours glueing, rounding corners and binding their books. A lot of work at once, but they are totally worth it. I can't wait to read the stories and memories that they have written about.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why I didn't have a teacher like you? I'm so impressed with the extra and creative things you do for your class. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete