Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Birthday

This has nothing to do with creativity. I just have to share this story because it is so funny. I don't think I have laughed so hard in a long time.

We have been learning about idioms in school, and I had a student who was looking through the idiom dictionary the other day---reading some aloud. I heard him say "no spring chicken," so I asked if he knew what that meant. No---well being the great teacher I am---told him to look it up. So, he tells me it means not young any more. Then immediately says, "So Miss Johnson, you're no spring chicken?" I gave him a hard time about calling me old--all the while the rest of the class was listening and joining in. I remember thinking that night---you know it's sinking in because I had been frustrated that they weren't learning.
Well, the kids knew that my birthday was coming up during spring break--thanks to my sister. I have a sign language interpreter in my room this year and they were trying to be sneaky about planning something---so I let them. Well, she totally destroyed my room with balloons and glitter--but I went with it. The few of the boys had picked out a card with this stupid song they sing all the time and signed it---one of them putting "Happy 3 decade." They got the principal to let them sing to me over the intercom---after the entire lunch room full of kids had sung to me. But---the best is the cake (look at the picture below)
They totally came up with the idea all on their own. I have been so stressed the last 6-8 weeks, I really needed this. I laughed all day long. As word got out in the school, we had a lot of visitors come to see the cake and to have their own laugh. It is a wonderful memory and totally kid-driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment